The Village of Chryston - North Lanarkshire - Scotland
GROUND FLOORGround Floor PlanThe North Eastern square tower which is part of the original building contains the main door in its South face. The main door was for many years the only entrance to the House. This door opens onto a tiny vestibule from which the stair twists up to the first floor; in earlier times it appears this stair continued to the 2nd floor and the tower room. One wonders why the stair was not left as it was.The Main Entrance Doorsketch of entrance doorThe ground floor of the oldest part of the building is vaulted and contains kitchen and a large cellar, now a bedroom. The rooms to the South side of the barrelvaulted corridor are large, and those to the North side, which are presumably contemporary with the West stair, are smaller. In the later part of the building beyond the kitchen and bedroom is an apartment which seems to have been intended for a kitchen and leading from this room, now a store, are the rooms of the two Western towers which at this level have dome-shaped ceilings. Between the store room which adjoins the West tower room and the central room is located a narrow passage which leads to a window in the South wall. This window used to be a door which opened direct on to the terrace. It is believed that Mr. Campbell had the door blocked up and Mr. Christie re-opened it as a window about 1850 when the passage was used as a wine cellar, the existing wine cellars under the West wing being undesirable because of excessive damp.Details of the Kitchen WindowThe small addition to the North was executed in 1909 by Mr. Christie and comprised a second door and a bathroom. This addition is built in rendered brickwork with a shallow pitched slate roof and does not, by any gymnastics of the imagination, merge into the old building. Once again Nature has been kind in providing heavy foliaged trees at this corner and the addition does not interrupt the other elevations to the House which are much more frequently seen.