The Village of Chryston - North Lanarkshire - Scotland
Chryston
Education Chryston.   The   first   school,   a   thatched-roof   cottage,   was   erected   in   1770.   It   was   in   use   for   nine   years,   being   demolished   when   the   Chapel of   Ease   was   built.   A   new   school   was   then   built,   standing   across   the   west   side   of   the   Chapel.   Its   cost   including   erection   and   equipment was   £27   12s.   (£27.60).   This   building   was   slate-roofed,   and   was   enlarged   to   provide   teachers'   accommodation.   It   became   known   as   the "Old   Parish   School".   Prior   to   the   provision   of   the   accommodation,   the   schoolmaster   was   allowed   to   go   about   with   the   scholars   and   lodge free   with   their   parents,   especially   during   the   winter   months.   In   the   other   seasons   a   farmer's   barn   usually   provided   the   necessary   cover. The   first   schootmaster   was   Mr   Tennant.   There   was   no   salary   to   the   appointment   as   his   wages   were   obtained   from   a   charge   made   of   1s. 6d.   (7½p)   per   quarter   per   pupil. There   was   an   average   of   30   scholars   in   a   winter   half-year   and   20   through   the   summer   months. The   school was   capable   of   holding   70   scholars.   It   can   be   seen   that   the   schoolmaster   must   have   had   a   struggle   to   make   ends   meet.   The   reduced number   of   scholars   in   the   summer   months   was   due   to   the   work   which   the   children   could   obtain   herding   and   at   other   jobs   around   the farms   to   argment   the   family   income.   Some   of   the   weavers'   children   who   could   not   earn   6s.   (30p)   were   put   very   early   to   drawing   and   even weaving   on   the   family   looms.   It   says   much   for   the   standard   of   education   that   when   a   library   was   opened   in   the   vllage,   in   1831,   it   is recorded that there were few persons who could not read. A   quaint   and   original   custom   was   followed   during   Mr   Tennant's   term   of   office.   On   each   Candlemas   Day   the   scholars   brought   a   sum   of money   which   was   given   to   the   schoolmaster.   Oranges   were   then   distributed   according   to   how   much   money   had   been   handed   in.   The honour   of   getting   the   most   oranges   was   greatly   coveted,   so   when   they   had   all   been   distributed   there   was   generally   a   surplus   of   money which fell to the schoolmaster - who no doubt knew how to use it! Mr   Tennant   was   succeeded   in   1858   by   Mr   George   H.   M.   McIsaac.   Following   the   passing   of   the   Scottish   Education   Act   of   1872,   making education   compulsory   for   children   up   to   13   years   of   age   and   authorising   the   Parochial   School   Boards,   all   the   schools   in   the   village became   obsolete.   These   included   the   Parish   School;   the   School   for   Young   Ladies,   opened   in   1837   at   the   west   end   of   the   village, supported   by   subscriptions   and   under   the   control   of   the   minister   of   the   Established   Church;   and   the   Free   Church   School,   opened   in   1848 adjoining   the   church,   encouraged   by   the   minister,   Mr   Burnett,   and   with   Mr   Yuille,   a   local   gentleman,   appointed   as   schoolmaster.   Of   these three   only   the   building   used   for   the   ladies'   school   still   stands,   namely   "Bowstead".   The   Parish   School   was   demolished   together   with   the Chapel   of   Ease   in   the   1870s   to   make   way   for   the   present   Parish   Church,   and   the   Free   Church   school   in   the   1950s   to   allow   reconstruction of the church to a hall. The datestone of the latter can now be seen built into the front of the present small hall. Mr Thomas   Craig   Christie   of   Bedlay   House   laid   the   Memorial   Stone   of   Chryston   Public   School   on   26th   June   1875. The   school   was   opened in   1878.   It   had   nine   classrooms   and   a   staffroom,   and   adjoining   it   on   the   west   side   was   a   schoolhouse   (head   teacher's   residence). The   first Head Teacher   was   Mr   McIsaac,   who   remained   in   post   until   1900   and   who   was   held   in   high   esteem   in   the   area. The   bell   "to   call   in   the   lines" was   that   formerly   used   for   the   Chapel   of   Ease   and   was   given   to   the   school   in   appreciation   of   the   use   by   the   church   of   accommodation   for services   while   the   new   church   was   being   built.   In   1898   running   water   was   led   into   the   school   and   three   years   later   water   toilets   were   built for   use   by   the   pupils   adjacent   to   the   playground.   In   severe   winters   these   usually   froze   and   were   of   no   value.   In   the   same   year   water   was also   led   into   the   headmaster's   house.   The   school   uniform   in   the   1920s   was   brown   with   a   badge   interwoven   with   the   initials   CPS,   for   use on jackets and caps. Classes were taught up to Qualifying stage. In   1908   the   "New   School"   was   built   to   the   north   of   the   Junior   School,   providing   education   to   Third   Year   Standard,   after   which   pupils wishing   to   advance   to   higher   education   had   to   go   to   Coatbridge   or   Glasgow   schools.   It   had   seven   classrooms,   and   included   facilities   for science,   domestic   science   and   art   classes.   There   was   an   assembly   hall   which   also   served   as   a   gymnasium,   a   headmaster's   room   and   a staffroom.   In   the   late   1920s   two   further   classrooms   were   erected,   on   the   west   side   of   the   school,   and   a   staffroom.   By   then   the   school was   generally   known   as   Chryston   Higher   Grade   School   and   had   adopted   for   its   badge   that   of   the   Christie   Arms   with   the   added   motto   "Sic Viresco",   loosely   translated   "Thus   I   grow   green".   The   Christie   Arms   is   displayed   on   the   gable   of   the   lodge   house.   Around   the   same   time captains'   badges   for   the   school   girls'   and   boys'   elected   captains   were   presented   to   the   school   by   Mr   and   Mrs   Robert   Hamilton,   residents of Station Road, and handed over with ceremony each year. Early   in   the   1960s   it   was   decided,   because   of   the   deterioration   of   the   structure   of   the   Primary   and   Junior   School,   that   new   premises should   be   built.   It   was   also   decided   to   provide   a   new   High   School   to   meet   the   rising   size   of   the   community.   Both   these   buildings   were built, adacent to each other on a greenfield site, immediately behind the old Higher Grade School. On   25th   August   1966   the   new   Primary   School   was   opened,   and   on   16th   January   of   the   following   year   the   Junior   High   School   held   its   first assembly.   The   official   opening   and   dedication   took   place   on   6th   March.   On   25th   August   1969   the   Primary   School   ceased   to   be   under   the control   of   the   High   School   and   became   a   separate   entity.   Miss   Margaret   Anderson   was   appointed   as   its   first   Head   Teacher.   On   the   same date the Junior High School was renamed Chryston Secondary School, with Mr Andrew B. L. Marshall as its Head Teacher. Three   years   later   the   school   name   changed   again   to   Chryston   High   School,   when   studies   continued   to   Fourth   Year   Standard.   Pupils studying   to   5th   and   6th   year   grades   were   directed   to   Coatbridge   High   School. This   however   changed   in   1976   when   the   decision   was   taken to   upgrade   the   Chryston   School   to   Sixth   Year   Standard,   and   to   build   an   extension   to   the   school.   While   this   was   being   constructed   the   old Higher   Grade   School   was   refurbished   and   temporary   class   huts   provided   for   the   extra   accommodation   required.   The   new   extension   was officially   opened   and   dedicated   on   6th   November   1981,   increasing   the   provision   for   pupils   from   450   to   1,000   places.   The   feeder   Primary schools were Chryston, Glenmanor, Stepps and Gartcosh. The   old   Primary   and   Junior   School   was   demolished   in   December   1975,   but   the   old   church   bell   was   not   recovered.   The   old   Higher   Grade School,   seriously   damaged   by   fire   on   8th   October   1988   following   wilful   arson,   was   demolished   the   following   year.   The   site   of   the   former was used for the erection of the Chilterns Home and the latter for the new library and business units. BRIDGEND    AND    GLENMANOR    PRIMARY    SCHOOLS .    To    meet    the    requirements    of    the    growth    of    Bridgend,    following    the establishment   of   Auchengeich   Colliery   and   the   building   of   the   miners'   houses,   a   school   was   built   about   200   yards   east   of   the   village.   It was   opened   in   August   1911   at   a   cost   of   £4,600.   It   consisted   of   six   classrooms,   cloakrooms,   staffrooms   and   a   large   hall,   and   could accommodate   300   pupils.   The   first   headmaster   was   Mr   James   Anderson   who   held   the   position   until   1937   when   he   transferred   to Rutherglen.   The   school   theme   song   was   "Cherryripe".   Being   an   annexe   of   Chryston   Public   School,   pupils   after   completing   their   years   at Bridgend   continued   at   Chryston.   Following   the   closure   of   the   colliery   in   1959   and   the   eventual   demolition   of   the   houses   as   the   miners moved   into   new   houses   in   Moodiesburn   or   elsewhere,   the   number   of   pupils   decreased   and   the   remaining   children   were   directed   to Chryston. Prior to Bridgend School's demolition in 1969 it was used for a short time by St Michael's R.C. Primary School. With   the   growth   of   Gartferry   and   Moodiesburn   it   became   obvious   that   a   new   school   was   required   in   the   area   to   replace   Bridgend   School. Glenmanor   Primary   was   opened   on   1st   February   1965   and   seven   teachers   and   their   classes   were   transferred   from   Chryston   to   the   new school,   making   eight   classes   in   all   -   306   pupils.   It   ceased   to   be   an   annexe   of   Chryston   School   and   was   officially   opened   on   25th   April 1966. On 20th August 1973 pupils from the school began transferring to Chryston High School for their further education. ST   MICHAEL'S   R.   C.   PRIMARY   SCHOOL .   This   school   opened   classes   on   4th   October   1965   in   Bridgend   School,   and   following   the demolition   of   this   school   moved   into   part   of   Glenmanor   School.   The   new   St   Michael's   school   in   Burnbrae   Avenue,   Moodiesburn,   was officially   opened   on   9th   December   1969   by   Councillor   Charles   Gray.   It   has   14   classrooms   and   an   assembly   hall   which   serves   also   as   a gymnasium.   Presently   there   are   about   400   pupils   in   the   school   who   after   completing   their   education   there   continue   for   higher   classes   at Cumbernauld - either at St Maurice's High School or Our Lady's High. ST   BARBARA'S   R.   C.   PRIMARY   SCHOOL . The   school   situated   in   Elmira   Road,   Muirhead,   was   opened   in   1933.   It   was   initially   named St   Joseph's,   the   area   at   the   time   being   in   that   parish.   The   earlier   school   at   Cardowan   closed   and   all   pupils   attended   at   Muirhead.   In   1947 the   Parish   of   St   Barbara   was   established   and   the   school   then   adopted   the   new   parish   name.   A   short   time   afterwards   St   Joseph's   School at   Cardowan   reopened   to   serve   children   in   that   area   and   in   recent   years   has   been   replaced   by   a   modern   building.   In   January   1962   an extension   to   the   school   at   Muirhead   was   opened   to   provide   additional   facilties.   When   the   school   opened   in   1933   there   were   426   pupils   in attendance,   but   this   number   has   declined   in   recent   years   and   in   1990   the   figure   was   172.   Part   of   the   school   is   now   used   for   other purposes. After tuition at the school ptqrils are directed to Cumbernauld for further studies.
The Story of Chryston
by Neil Kidd